sydney's sidewalk drawing...elijah, sydney, daddy, mommy, kezia

Sunday, January 2, 2011

lightbulb moment


We had our main floor bathroom remodeled last year. (Of course, by “we”, I mean “we” hired professionals who knew what they were doing to remodel our bathroom.) One of the many improvements was additional overhead lighting. Of course, being the age of conservation, some sort of energy saving bulb was installed on the main light. Mind you, we are not against energy saving or anything like that, but it was always a bit of a sore point that the bulb took quite a while to “warm up” to be bright enough to be useful, so we would often end up turning on the vanity lights as well.



Well, now many months later, Wayne had a “light bulb moment” on New Year ’s Day when he finally just took out the offending light bulb and replaced it with a brighter style. I came into the bathroom, he threw the switch and said, “It’s my house, I can change things if I want to!”


I don’t know why, but it struck me as kinda meaningful. I started thinking about making changes and just sort of “noodled” from there. (From the book, Men are like Waffles, Women are like Spaghetti, referring to how men and women think differently…men in boxes, each area in its place and separate, and women in long strands that connect and intertwine.) I thought of James 1:23-25 which talks about someone who looks at himself in the mirror, but then immediately “forgets” what he looks like and does not do a thing to fix his appearance. How often am I aware, or even complain, about faults within myself I do not like, yet do nothing to change it…kind of like that dumb light bulb we let irritate us for months on end without doing anything about it.


I don’t want to take this beyond it’s intended meaning, but I found it to be timely and thought I would share with you all. These verses from James are referring specifically to listening and obeying God’s Word, and I don’t know about you, but I find the Bible to be full of instruction in areas I wish to improve; parenting, relationships, godly living, and much more.


What is going on in your life that you are not fixing?






Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it-he will be blessed in what he does. (James 1:23-25)

No comments:

Post a Comment