sydney's sidewalk drawing...elijah, sydney, daddy, mommy, kezia

Monday, August 24, 2009

Turtle Blankie




I like picking an 'unusual' theme for our children. Instead of the usual Dora, Noah's Ark, or Pink Ponies, I like to pick an animal and a color (it doesnt have to be a color that makes sense for that animal). Sydney was Elephants and Orange. (I'll have you know, there were no elephant anythings for kids when I was pregnant with Sydney, and now, while not as popular as ponies, elephants are hitting the scene. What can I say, I'm a trend setter.). The previous pregnancy was Monkeys and Yellow.

For this baby, Turtles and Lime Green. Turtles are hard to find right now. There are frogs everywhere, but turtles not so much. So, I decided I was going to make a turtle blanket, and crochet it with yarn (crochet is the one with just one stick; knitting uses two sticks).



When I started, I had plenty of time; if I did just one turtle a day (about an hour), I could have been done. But, life goes on with or without you or your turtles. I think I have at least 7 hours of lily pads to make and most of my turtles are headless. Still, I'm amazed that I have been able to get as much done as I have. I learned to crotchet while in Kenya and barely know how to read the instruction books, so I think I'm doing pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment