sydney's sidewalk drawing...elijah, sydney, daddy, mommy, kezia

Monday, June 21, 2010

My Dad - Steve Fletcher

So, I know I am a day late, but here goes anyway....









Yesterday was Father's Day...


And, in honor of this special day, I want all of you out there to know how much I love my dad.

My dad and me ... obviously a few years ago.


The Fletcher Household was an interesting place to grow up. There was always lots of noise, laughter and crazy family antics going on. Fletchers are especially good story tellers....and truth enhancers. We always joke that any story worth telling has to include sound effects, theme songs or movie quotes.





Here are some of the more popular quotes used by the Fletcher family:



"You sure know how to hydrate a pizza." - Back to the Future II

-This one is a favorite for my dad to say to my mom at mealtime.



"I'll take the cheh-per chicken." - Father of the Bride

-Used when comparing prices of just about anything.



"You can't always get what you wa-ant." - Rolling Stones song

-Used many times growing up to explain the concept of....well....not always being able to get what you want.



"They say toupe is very soothing." - Ocean's Eleven

-This comment often comes up when my mom is trying to decide which of 7 different shades of blue (which all look the same to my dad) looks better for a new paint job.











My Dad's personal phrase-isms - phrases that he invented

"I am not lost, I just have temporary non-cognisance of location."



Used when lost while driving or when something like the keys are lost.









"Do my monosyllabic profundities bore you?"


I think dad borrowed this one from his dad... Ronald Fletcher who was also a connoisseur of sound effects, songs and interesting phrases.















I want to leave you all with one of the most important things my dad has taught me.

"I have no problems, only opportunities."


Wayne and my dad in our upstairs bathroom do it ourselves remodel.......lets just say there were a LOT of opportunities in this bathroom.



This was often used jokingly around the house. If something was going wrong, mom would ask, "What is the problem," or something to that effect, to which dad would answer, "I have no problems, only opportunities." As a kid, I understood this phrase to an extent. Problem implies a negitive while opportunity implies a positive.




Strange as it may seem, as an adult, I have really come to appreciate this phrase. Life is hard...very hard at times. If we are not careful, we can allow the "problems" of this world overwhelm us. But, we can choose to view situations as an opportunity, a chance to excersize our faith and trust Jesus during difficult times.
I sometimes think of Shadrack, Meshach and Abednego (I know, I am odd). But they are the perfect example of seeing a very serious problem as an opportunity. When threated with being thrown into a fire unless they bowed down to an idol, they said, "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up." Faced with certain death, they held this as an opportunity to present their faith in God and His power over the king.
While I doubt my dad had all that in mind during the many times he has used this phrase, it is still a great example to me for all the times in life that my dad has chosen to see the positive and press on.

Thanks Dad, Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment